I am going to reassemble the OMG Beer favorites list soon, but thought a top ten recent beers list would help capture new favorites, plus point out a few beers that didn't make it to the blog during Chicago Craft Beer Week (phone issues). Favorites of 2011 so far:
(in no particular order)
1. Revolution Brewing Co (collaboration with Three Floyds), Chicago, Sodom. A bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout.
2. Anderson Valley Brewing Company, Boonville, CA, Boont Amber Ale. American Amber, uniquely fruity and spicy.
3. Boulevard Brewing Company, Kansas City, MO, Chocolate Ale. The name says it all.
4. New Holland Brewing Company, Holland, MI, Envious. Fermented with pears, then aged on raspberries and oak.
5. Clipper City Brewing Company, Baltimore, MD, Heavy Seas Dubbel Cannon. Belgian-style IPA. Dubbel meets American IPA.6. Haymarket Pub & Brewery, Chicago, Mathias Imperial IPA. Big citrusy IPA.
7. St. Louis Brewery, St. Louis, MO, Schlafly Pale Ale. One of the best examples of a traditional British Pale Ale, but made smack in the middle of the American midwest. Super session friendly, yet complex enough to sip on a patio with a light summer breeze.
8. Brouwerij Van Steenberge, Ertvelde, Belgium, Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour Ale. A Flanders Oud Bruin, very dark red sour. Kind of a sweet n sour combo, with a medium body. Outstanding.
9. Stillwater Artisanal, Baltimore, MD, Existent. A dark farmhouse ale, but very much like a belgian-style stout. Nicely balanced, ends dry, roasted malts meets earthy hops, but with a light body.
10. Telegraph Brewing Company, Santa Barbara, CA, White Ale. A belgian-style white ale, tart, brewed with coriander, orange peel, and chamomile. Very fully flavored. Fantastic version of the style.