Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2011 Homebrew #1 - Belgian Pale Ale/IPA

Some kind of hybrid beer? I wanted to experiment with Sorachi Ace hops in the summer, a la Brooklyn Brewery's Sorachi Ace Saison, but never got around to it. I also wanted to make a belgian pale ale with American hops and went with the newly available Citra. I combined the beer ideas and because I added the bittering hops to the mash wort, before the liquid extract is added, the beer ends up a bit more bitter (I need a recipe calculator that lets me add malt extract later in the boil). I think this falls into the non-traditional beer style series and when I sampled the beer, it tasted like sweetened citrus fruit, with a dry bitter finish. Need a name for it still.

Category: Belgian and French Ale
Subcategory: Belgian Pale Ale
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 5.5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 3.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 72 %
Total Grain/Extract: 9
Total Hops: 5.5 oz.

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
75 minute single infusion mash at 155 deg F with 5 quarts of water.
2 lbs. Belgian Pils
1 lbs. Honey Malt
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils® Malt
0.5 lbs. Wheat, Unmalted/Raw


5 lbs. Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract (Malt Extract from Austin Homebrew Supply, boiled 15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Magnum (Pellets, 14.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Citra (Pellets, 9.5 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
1 oz. Sorachi Ace (Pellets, 9.0 %AA) boiled 5 minutes
1 oz. Sorachi Ace pellets, flame out

Yeast: WYeast 3711 French Saison Yeast


Vital Statistics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original Gravity: 1.050
Terminal Gravity: 1.010
Color: 9.25 SRM
Bitterness: Between 40 and 45 IBUs I believe
Alcohol (%volume): 5.3+%

No comments:

Post a Comment